Monday 30 June 2014

Writing Journal: typos and misspellings!


I had another story nicely reject this week. It was to a good publication that sends back some of the feedback from their slush readers, which is always informative and helpful. (I think?)

There was feedback given from three readers and they were very similar in content. All had similar good things to say, basically that the story had a lot of potential that’s not quiet realised in some way, and all three liked the ending. The negative was also kind of the same, basically that it was not fleshed out enough.

However, one of the readers said that the story lacked polished and had typos and misspellings.


What!!!

Typos(!!!) and misspellings(!!!!!!!)

Inconceivable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This comment shocked me, to put it lightly. I don’t blame the reader; if he/she found typos and misspellings then that is what he/she found. It just that it was so deflating to read those words when I know how much I’d done to make sure that there was no typos and misspellings, but it seems that I didn’t try enough.

I actually thought that I had this story about right. Now I’m going to have to add having another look at this story on my to do list. See what I can do to give it more depth to the setting and characters. Find those typos and misspellings and kill them.

If you liked (or disliked) this post please leave a comment. You could also like my page on Facebook, or follow me on Twitter.




2 comments:

  1. It's so easy to miss typos. That's why it's important to find a good second set of eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynda, I know & I did, but still they are there? Good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete